Call of the Wild Quiz on Chapters I - IV
1. What was Buck's life like with Judge Miller?
a) Comfortable - Judge Miller's family loved Buck.
b) Sad - Judge Miller's family was mean to Buck.
c) Hungry - Buck was not fed enough.
d) Tiring - Buck was made to work all day long.
2. Why did Manuel steal Buck?
a) Manuel became angry with Buck for biting him.
b) Manuel wanted to get even with Judge Miller for killing his cat.
c) Manuel needed money for his family after losing the Chinese lottery.
3. What did the man in the red sweater teach Buck?
a) how to fish for salmon
b) never to fight a man with a club
c) how to pull a sled
d) never trust a human
4. How does Buck travel from Santa Clara, California to the Yukon Territory?
a) by boat
b) pulling a dog sled
c) various vehicles including a wagon, train, and boat
5. What does Buck do when he gets cold and Francois and Perrault kick him out of the tent?
a) dug a hole in the snow
b) ran away
c) got under the sled
d) went back to the boat
6. Buck was very excited when he saw _______ for the first time.
c) a rabbit
7. What does Buck learn from Curly's death?
a) He could never trust men.
b) He must never go down in a fight.
c) He could never defeat his master.
d) Masters only cared about dogs that worked.
8. How did Buck react when Spitz stole his sleeping hole?
a) angry enough to fight Spitz
b) indifferent - He just crawled into another hole.
c) happy - Buck took Spitz's hole.
9. What did Francois make for Buck to help him in the wild, cold land?
a) warm sleeping mat
b) special leash
c) buckskin overcoat
10. What job were the dogs helping Francois and Perrault do?
a) trap furs
b) win a race
c) deliver mail
d) carry supplies to the men in the mining camps
11. How many dogs made a dog team?
12. What keeps Buck and Spitz from getting into a fight after Spitz takes Buck's sleeping hole?
a) A rabbit runs by and both dogs chase after it.
b) Francois gets out his club and breaks up the fight.
c) Wild huskies enter the camp and begin attacking the sled dogs.
13. What happens to Dolly?
a) She goes mad and Francois must kill her.
b) She runs away with the wild dogs.
c) She dies in a fight with Spitz.
14. What does Spitz do to get to the rabbit ahead of Buck?
a) takes a short cut
b) jumps the creek
c) knocks Buck down
15. How does Buck win the fight against Spitz?
a) Buck pushes a boulder over on Spitz.
b) Buck rams his head into Spitz's chest.
c) Buck fakes going for Spitz's shoulder then breaks his leg.
16. After Spitz's death, where on the team does Buck take?
a) in the back of the line
b) lead position
c) between Sol-lecks and Dave
17. What was Francois' reaction to selling Buck?
18. _____ takes the team back to Dawson after leaving Francois and Perrault.
a) The man in the red sweater
b) The Yeetahs
c) The Scotsman