Old Yeller Part 1 Chapters 1 - 4
1. What is the setting of Old Yeller?
a) post Civil War Texas
b) 1849 Gold Rush California
c) Spanish American War Texas
d) 1902 Oklahoma
2. Why is Papa leaving his family?
a) to look for new land for a home
b) to look for gold
c) to take the cattle to market
d) to take care of his sick brother
3. Who was Bell?
a) the milk cow
b) Travis's first dog
c) the family mule
d) the hog
4. How does Travis make Jumper mind him?
a) He uses a whip.
b) He throws cold water on him.
c) He rewards him with carrots.
d) He hits him with a club.
5. Why does Travis get mad at Old Yeller?
a) for killing one of the chickens
b) for hurting Little Arliss
c) for chewing up his shoes
d) for stealing food
6. What animal does Travis hunt?
7. How does Travis feel about Old Yeller when he first arrives at their farm?
a) loves him
b) wants him to leave
c) wants him to replace Bell
8. Why does Old Yeller run away during the bull fight?
a) He is afraid of the bulls.
b) He thinks Travis will hit him with the whip.
c) He wants to eat the chicken.
9. What happened to the Roany during the fight?
a) He became tangled in the bob wire.
b) He fell on his back and couldn't get back up.
c) He was stabbed in the stomach by the Chongo's horn.
d) He fell in the cart and went rolling down the hill.
10. What became the real danger during the bull fight?
a) Little Arliss ran out between the two bulls.
b) The bull were too close to the house.
c) The bulls rammed the chicken coop, tearing it down.
d) A deer ran between the two bulls.