1. orphan - a child whose parents are deceased.
Pg. 5 - And just like that, Maniac was an orphan.
2. legend - an unverifiable story handed down from the past.
Pg. 8 - The legend doesn’t have the answer.
3. pandemonium - a place marked with disorder and wild confusion.
Pg. 25 - Pandemonium on the sidelines.
4. allergy - pathological or abnormal reaction to environmental substances, as foods, dust, pollens, or microorganisms.
Pg. 48 - He said it might be an allergy.
5. confetti - small pieces of paper thrown during a happy occasion.
Pg. 74 - Scraps of paper fluttered down in a shower of homemade confetti.
6. dumbfounded - to confound with amazement
Pg. 87 - Dumbfounded, the old man drove back out of the park to the nearest diner, where he sat with a cup of coffee while the boy wolfed down meatloaf and gravy, mashed potatoes, zucchini, salad, and coconut custard pie.
7. repertoire - the accomplishments or skills of a person.
Pg. 97 - Except for one pitch, the only one left in his repertoire from the old days.
8. Mourner - a person who expressing grief or sorrow.
Pg. 116 - Maniac was the only mourner.
9. replicas - a reproduction or copy of something.
Pg. 123 - The only buildings here were tiny log-and-mortar- cabins, replicas of the army’s shelters.
10. feats - a notable act or achievement.
Pg. 141 - Thus began a series of heroic feats by Maniac Magee.
11. ecstatic - the state of intense joy or delight.
Pg. 149 - The reunion had been ecstatic and tearful and nonstop and happy, and inside he was pure July.